Central Northeast Neighbors
DEI Training Series: Topics and Descriptions
Facilitated by Alexis Millet and Sara Curiel Paez
These trainings are via Zoom from 6:00pm to 8:00pm. They are free and open as space permits, and you will need to register to attend.
Please contact Ronda Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (503)823-2780 to register, for this free training. She will send you the Zoom links.
- Culture and Cultural Identities During this session we will explore our own cultural dimensions, our relationship to them, and the role they play in cross-cultural interactions. Our objective is to connect our cultural identities to our values and behaviors. As a result, we can identify and promote cultural behaviors in the workplace and beyond that advance Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. June 6, 2022
- Implicit Bias Unconscious or implicit bias is something we all have. It is learned and developed since birth and influences our leadership and interactions. It is imbedded in many of the systems in which we operate. Uncovering and understanding bias is life-long work. During this session, we’ll explore skills, mindsets, and tools that will support becoming aware of and countering our biases for the long-term with the goal of mitigating bias to advance equity in our everyday interactions and systems. September 12, 2022
- Microaggressions The workshop will help to develop awareness around microaggressions, build skills to recognize microaggressions in yourself and others, and learn ways to interrupt them. We will build awareness of how cultural narratives create dynamics resulting in microaggressions and how this affects our interactions and their consequences. We will learn practical ways for continued growth in our DEI Journeys. October 24, 2022
- Identity-Based Privilege and Disadvantage We will explore the historical contexts of systemic oppression, learn about social identity groups and systems of inclusion and exclusion. To advance in our DEI journey it is important to understand your own privilege and intersectionality, and how to leverage your privilege to interrupt power dynamics in your networks. You will learn ways to support disadvantaged groups and how to practice DEI values in your daily life.
December 5, 2022
- Anti-Racist Behavior and Allyship What is the difference between being anti-racist and being nonracist? We will explore how forms and expressions of racism work in tandem with each other to maintain a system of dominance, othering, and advantage/disadvantage based in race and other identities. We will learn anti-racist behaviors and strategies from a social justice standpoint, and what it means to be a compassionate ally. January 23, 2023